Thursday, April 2, 2009

Bret Easton Ellis: Books/Film


The Informers comes out later this month, and as a Bret Easton Ellis fan, I'm both excited and apprehensive. As far as remakes of his works are considered, I find it best to think of the books as separate entities from the films. For example, The Rules of Attraction as straightforward adaptation of the novel fails miserably. The film focuses primarily on the first few pages of the book, leaving out a multitude of plot points/ characters/ significant relationships, and it's laughably homophobic in the way it handles the relationship between Paul and Sean. Roger Avery's film only works for me if I consider it as a loose interpretation. Ellis himself has described it as the best interpretation of his work thus far.

So the jury's still out on The Informers. I have a feeling it's not going to be as awesome as Harron's American Psycho but maybe, just maybe, it won't be as terrible as Kanievska's Less Than Zero.

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more on your Rules of Attraction point. The only thing it had in common with the novel was character names.

    Regardless of negative hype for the movie (I heard the actors have gone public saying how bad the final product is AND Ellis didn't even show up at the opening screening) - I'm still excited and can't wait to see it.

    Wish they'd redo Less Than Zero. Its such an awesome book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting for someone to actually try to adapt Glamorama...there's been talk about that for years.

    ReplyDelete